MR. JOE'S KITCHEN

MR. JOE'S KITCHEN

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

BBQ Chicken Breasts


I was back in my own kitchen today making a healthy dinner of BBQ grilled chicken breast, peas with caramelized pearl onions and steamed broccoli. The broccoli was fresh, but the pearl onions and peas were frozen. I buy the chicken breast cutlets in bulk when they are on sale. Trim them and bag 2 or 3 in a  Ziploc bag and freeze. This way there is always chicken ready to be defrosted for dinner.




The chicken cutlets were patted dry and then brushed lightly with olive oil then sprinkled with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika.

After getting the BBQ nice and hot and brushing the grills with oil I seared the chicken on each side in order to get some nice grill marks. Then I turned the far right burner off and moved the chicken to the cool side of the grill, closed the lid and let it cook for about 15 minutes.

In the meantime I heated some oil in a large skillet and added 1/2 bag of frozen pearl onions. I cooked these till they were translucent, about 5 minutes and the I added 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and continued to toss the onions until they were caramelized. I placed the onions on a plate and wiped out the skillet of excess oil.

After 15 minutes I brushed the chicken with BBQ sauce and then closed the lid again. two to three minutes later I turned the chicken and brushed the other side with sauce. I repeated this twice. I checked the chicken for an internal temperature of 165 degrees.

I took the chicken off the grill and tented it. I heated the skillet, added a whole bag of frozen peas and the onions and cooked for 4 to 5 minutes. I placed the basket of broccoli florets over a pot of boiling water and steamed the broccoli for 5 minutes. Do not steam it any longer, if you do the broccoli will turn gray.

The broccoli was served with a light spritz of I Can't Believe It's Not butter.





The garlic powder and smoked paprika gave a nice boost to the BBQ sauce. In this case I used Bullseye bottled sauce (original flavor).

The sweetness of the onions complimented the peas perfectly.









No comments:

Post a Comment