MR. JOE'S KITCHEN

MR. JOE'S KITCHEN

Monday, September 27, 2010

Lemon-Lime Ice Box pie

About three months ago my friend mark asked me to try making a Key Lime pie. I did and since then I have been experimenting with these delicious citrus flavored desserts.

My first attempt was the Key Lime pie using a recipe from Cook's Country. It tasted great but lacked structure. My next attempt was the combination by of both lemon and lime. This pie was better, but still was a little runny and the graham cracker crust needed work. I was also dissatisfied with how the two layers looked.

This past weekend I made my third attempt, addressing the concerns from the past pies and I am pleased to say that I achieved perfection. A delicious no-bake Lemon/Lime Ice Box Pie.


















I adapted the recipe from the 2009 season of Cook's Country.

First I ditched the pie plate and used a spring form pan. I increased the amount of graham crackers, butter and sugar for the crust. I did this because I wanted enough graham cracker crumbs to line the bottom and sides of the pan.

I followed the recipe for the lime filling and then just repeated the recipe, substituting lemon for lime juice and zest. I also added three drops of green and yellow food coloring to give each layer a distinctive look.

After making the lime filling I put the pie in the freezer so it would firm up while I mixed the lemon filling. This way there would be no mixing of the two layers.

I served each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and tiny candied lemon and lime wedges.

The pie was tart, but not too tart with a nice sweetness to balance it out. the lemon lime flavors were distinctive, but went well together. The pie looked great with the bright green and yellow layers perfectly separated. And the graham cracker crust was firm without being hard and had a really nice flavor to it.

My pie was declared a huge success by my friends. Next up a lemon/ raspberry chiffon pie!!


Recipe:
Graham Cracker Crust
14 Graham Crackers broken in pieces
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 stick of butter, melted.


Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Line the bottom of a spring form pan with a circle of parchment paper.
Place graham crackers in food processor. Add sugar and butter and process until it has the texture of moist sand.
Pour the crumbs into the pan. Use a spoon to press the crumbs into the bottom of the pan and up and around the sides.
Bake in the over 10-12 minutes, till golden brown and firm. Set aside to cool.


Filling
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon of lime zest
8 oz. cream cheese softened
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup instant vanilla pudding mix (the no-cook kind)
green food coloring
1 1/4 teaspoon of plain gelatin
1 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice (based on size you will need 8 or 9 limes)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract


1.) add sugar and zest to food processor and process for 30 seconds
2.) add cream cheese and process for an additional 30 seconds
3.) Add sweetened condensed milk, putting mix and 3 drops of green food coloring. process for 30 seconds
4.) use a spatula to scrape down sides of processor bowl
5.) in a small dish place 2 tablespoons of lime juice and the plain gelatin, stir. Place in microwave for 15 seconds to heat and dissolve gelatin
6.) While processor is running add gelatin lime juice mixture, remaining lime juice and vanilla. Process for 30 seconds
7.) pour filling into spring form pan and place pan in freezer for 15 minutes.


While pie is firming repeat the above 6 steps with the following substitutions.
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
3 drops of yellow food coloring
1 cup of fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons based on size)


Take pie out of freezer and ad lemon filling. Place pie back into freezer for 10 minutes and then transfer to the refrigerator. Cover with plastic wrap. To have a smooth top try to avoid having the wrap touch the filling. Chill 5 hours or more. Can be made a day in advance.


Serve with whipped cream and little wedges of lemons and limes coated in sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment